Thursday, September 8, 2011

London

London.

I can't describe how it felt to spend the day in London. Superficially, I can tell you that it was a cool 50 degrees (Farenheit, for us Yanks) and the was mostly cloudy and spitting tiny droplets of precipitation on my hoody - an article I was so glad to have remembered to pack.

Stepping up from the Underground for the first time into Picadilly Circus, I felt instantly a part of the bustle. Young and old moving to and fro at varying paces, some mindlessly sauntering by the statues in the square, others practically jogging to reach their next destination, all a part of the city. I was surprised at how the scene made me nostalgic for a time I've never known. Suddenly, I was pining to be a part of a bustle! I wanted to saunter or jog to a park or a loo. Perhaps it's because, growing up in Houston, being a part of the bustle means sitting in traffic.

Since we only had about 7 hours to see the city, my team decided to take on of those iconic red double-decker bus tours. It was a smart move. Not only did we get to see a long list of landmarks and tourist destinations, we got to maximize our time in that weather. Weather to many would seem dreary. But as someone from a currently record-breaking temperature, draught-riddled Houston, the climate was welcome.

The backdrop was ever so striking as well. Buildings new and old - every single one of them to the brim with character. I found myself selecting a window or a doorway with my eyes and trying to imagine the story of the people who lived, or perhaps officed there. What were they like? Rich, poor, busy life, simple life? thoughts like this of course led to me picturing myself in such a town. Could I fit in? Could I get used to the pace of life in a city  so diverse and rich with history? The answer is I don't know - but I want to try.

The more I see of this world, the more. I want to see of it!  There is so much out there to experience, to explore, to live

No comments:

Post a Comment